As you may be aware Cobra Biologics has been intrinsically linked to Cell and Gene Therapy product development for the last 30 years, initially in the 1990’s as a Research and Development Company, but then as a global Contract Development and Manufacturing Organisation (CDMO) for the last 20 years.
Given our reputation in the UK, Cobra was invited to join the Advanced Therapies Manufacturing Taskforce (“ATMT”) in 2016 which was joint UK Government / Industry initiative with the primary objective of setting out the right conditions for Advance Therapy manufacturing in the UK.
To this end, the ATMT published an action plan outlining the strategy for the UK to become a significant manufacturing centre for Advanced Medicinal Therapies (“AMT”).
The action plan’s recommendations, which are expanded further in the publication, set out clear objectives for both Industry and UK Government:
1. Secure an internationally competitive fiscal landscape to attract investment in manufacturing capability
2. Through a proactive and targeted marketing approach, simplify the process of engagement between investors and UK Government.
3. Capture internationally mobile investment through capacity and capability growth in the UK
4. Set out an end-to-end talent management plan to secure the relevant skills for emerging manufacturing technologies
5. Clearly set out a swift, predictable and viable route to market for these innovative products and give industry confidence the UK is a progressive global hub
6. Develop a long-term regulatory strategy and plan for the MHRA to lead in global standards, supporting the scientific activities and international outreach of National Institute for Biological Standards and Control (NIBSC)
Cobra fully supports the objectives set out and, as part of our strategy for growth and expansion to support our valued customers, will be looking closely to ensure that the UK becomes a critical manufacturing centre for AMTs.
Cobra’s objective in the UK is to become a centre of excellence for the manufacturing of AMTs from pre-clinical to commercial supply. We already have a global reputation GMP manufacturing in this area and are looking forward to further expansion to commercial supply in this exciting and innovative sector.
The manufacturing of Advanced Therapies in the UK was further discussed at length at the recently held bioProcessUK Conference with an article published in GEN: U.K. Bioindustry Plots Its Post-Brexit Course: Improving Manufacturing of Advanced Therapies Is One of Several Initiatives Being Put in Place.