What we offer

Cobra are proud to be partnering with the Advanced Therapies Apprenticeship Community (ATAC) to provide apprenticeships within the advanced therapies industry as part of our overall approach to providing different routes into careers at Cobra. To meet our mission to be the trusted service partner to the global life sciences industry, we need the best people in our team. We firmly believe that apprentices are an important part of our journey as we continue to grow our team of experts.

As well as offering specific apprenticeship vacancies for new Apprentices to join Cobra and begin their career in science, it has also proven to be a fantastic opportunity to offer apprenticeship programmes to our existing staff to continue to nurture their skills and development within the business.

"Apprenticeships within the ATMP sector allow employers to recruit, train and develop individuals with direct skills required in the industry. This allows apprentices to gain a broader understanding of the science industry, enhancing their employment experience whilst gaining a valuable qualification."

Sheena Pumford, HR Director, Cobra Biologics

Our target

Currently 3% of our employees are enrolled on apprenticeship programmes and we have set ourselves the target of increasing this to 5% by year end 2020. We have apprentices studying:

Level 2 in Warehousing
Level 3 Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship
Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship
Level 5 Technician Scientist Apprenticeships

Earn While You Learn

Earning while you learn, the blend of learning in the apprenticeship programmes allows apprentices to be involved in on the job training for 80% of their time, with the remaining 20% off the job for their academic study. Our apprentices tell us this structure works incredibly well for them and allows them to juggle their studies alongside their role at Cobra. The programmes are also very social; our apprentices also spend time with other apprentices within their cohorts learning about other organisations and building their internal networks at day events and summer schools.

Hear From Our Apprentices

Jodie Patterson

"After spending less than a year in my apprentice role, my skills had grown so much that I was actively encouraged by my managers and colleagues to apply for an internal experienced scientist position which I was able to secure."

Jodie Patterson - Scientist - Shortlisted Bionow Promising Technologist of the Year 2019

Will Dean

"This apprenticeship has allowed me to learn new skills and push myself to keep becoming better. I'm given time to complete my coursework every week and my colleagues are really supportive if I am struggling... I feel part of the team and can't wait to see what the future brings for me under Cobra."

Will Dean - Apprentice Stores Assistant

Tinashe Murinzi

"Unsure whether university was the right route for me, apprenticeships really opened up new doors. Now a year into my work and study, I have been able to build on my strengths gained from my prior pharmaceutical work experience, as well as develop my academic skills set. I now have a refreshed outlook on my future prospects and look forward to where my apprenticeship will take me."

Tinashe Murinzi - Apprentice PD Scientist


We recruit for Apprentices at various points in the year. You may find details of any current Apprentice vacancies on our careers page. If you visit at a time where we have no current Apprentice vacancies, please check back soon.

Young Scientists